fredag 10 oktober 2008

#6 The Triffids "Calenture" [1987]



"Calenture : tropical fever or delirium suffered by sailors after long periods away from land, who imagine the seas to be green fields and desire to leap into them."

Calenture var precis vad jag drabbades av 1987 när denna skiva kom. Jag druknade. Drunknade i David McCombs texter, hans fantastiska halvfalska röst och bandets dramatiska och fantasieggande arrangemang. Allt fick mig att drömma mig bort. För mig är inte detta så mycket musik. "Calenture" är för mig en film eller en bok, tonsatt. Efter två sekunder av "Bury me deep in love" är jag borta. Förflyttad till en annan plats, en annan tid där underbara historier utspelar sig. Historier om människor i utkanten, människor förstörda eller uppfyllda av kärlek eller historier om älskade platser.
Vi möter dem, blir presenterade och får en ögonblicksbeskrivning. Som att titta i ett fotoalbum med gamla, gula fotografier. Sen lämnar vi dem. Ofta utan att få ett svar. Och det är upp till var och en att bestämma var och hur historien slutar. Ingen vet.

"There's a chapel deep in a valley
For travelling strangers in distress
It's nestled among the ghosts of the pines
Under the shadow of a precipice
When a lonesome climbing figure
Slips and loses grip
Tumbles into a crevice
To his icy mountain crypt"

- "Bury me deep in love"


I have a letter. familiar paper
I keep a figurine in a locket
It's dedicated, engraved initials
Yellow photograph in a pocketbook
Well the rim of her mouth was golden
Her eyes were just desert sands
But that's not her!
That's just the light
It's only an image of her
It's just a trick of the light

- "Trick of the light"

Blue girl
In a summer dress in the greenhouse
Where she overslept dreaming of an ocean
Like a meadow
But wet, wet with holy water
Blue girl
In the shallows floating completely bare
We fell together cos good love is rare
And in the dying light a kerosene sun
Burns warmer than none

- "Holy Water"

I live under glass in the British museum
I am wrinkled and black, I am ten thousand years
I once lost in business, I once lost in love
I took a hard fall, I couldn't get up
I was frozen out in the lean winter years
When the dollars were few and the faces were mean
I was frozen in business and frozen in love
I took a ten minute nap, man I never woke up

- "Jerdacuttup man"

Kelly left her front light on
I came around
Her tree blew over
I shook her branches down
The wind and I, we howled around her door
Now there's a buckle in the sky. Iightning on the shore
And a face reflected in a puddle on the floor

- "Kelly's Blues"

Någon kanske säger att soundet är daterat. Sant. Men samtidigt passar den storslagna ljudbilden de fabulerande texterna. Jag tror inte jag skulle vilja höra "Calenture" i någon annan produktion.

Jag älskar denna skiva. För evigt.

David McComb R.I.P.

Inga kommentarer: